Your Shape, Your Suit: How to Find the Best Bathing Suit for Your Body Type
Are you more apple or pear? Hourglass or diamond? It seems like new body types and terms to describe them are created every day! But don’t worry—there are still plenty of tried and true tricks to help you determine your body type and how to find the best swimsuit fit for it.
Find the Best One Piece Swimsuits and Bikinis for Curves
Fortunately for hourglass-figured ladies, this body type is easy to identify. Hourglass body types are shaped like… well, an hourglass! Curvy hourglass figures usually have a waistline that’s noticeably narrower than the top and bottom of their torso, and the shoulders and hips of ladies with hourglass figures are very similar in width. Ladies with this body type may have fuller busts, hips, and thighs.
Great swimsuit styles for hourglass figures include:
- Two-piece bikinis: Because two-piece bikinis accentuate the perfectly proportioned shoulders and hips of an hourglass figure, ladies with this body type can rock a classic bikini like nobody’s business.
- Swimsuits with underwire: Whether you’re looking for a one piece or two piece bathing suit, choose suits with underwire or strategically placed straps to keep your bust fully supported.
- Full coverage bottoms: Want to show more midriff? Full coverage bottoms can help create the appearance of more balanced proportions between your hips and midriff area.
For hourglass body types, our designers recommend:
- Island Goddess Halter Tankini Top paired with a ruched swim skirt
- Island Goddess Halter Bikini Top
- Island Goddess Multi-Strap Cross-Back One Piece
How to Choose the Best Swimsuits for Athletic Body Types
Wouldn’t describe your body as “curvy”? Your body type is most likely a rectangle. This body shape is marked by hips and shoulders that are the same or similar width, as well as a straight, indistinct waistline. You may also see this shape referred to as an “athletic” or “banana” body type. If this is your body type, you likely have an average or small bust—but don’t let that stop you from having big style!
The best swimsuits for rectangle body types include:
- Swimsuits that are fitted in the waist: Ladies with a rectangle body type can use the fit of their swimsuit to play up their shape. Choose a swimsuit that accentuates your waist to give the appearance of curves.
- Push-up bra swimsuit styles: Boost your bust for a shapely, full look.
- High-waisted bottoms: If your torso is on the longer side with a straight shape, high-waisted bottoms are a great way to break up your body’s proportions visually.
For rectangle body types, our designers recommend:
Find Flattering Swimsuits for a Pear Shaped Body
A triangle or pear body shape is one of the most common body types. Are your hips wider than your shoulders? Does your upper body have more of a slope into your hips than a super-defined waistline? If so, your body type is a triangle.
Flattering swimsuit styles for triangle body shapes include:
- Swimsuits with push-up bras: Playing up your shoulders and bust flatters your body shape, so choose swimsuit tops that have a built-in push-up bra to give you some extra lift up top.
- Attention-grabbing swimsuit tops: Detailing like ruffles or off the shoulder swimsuit styles can also draw more attention to your shoulders and create a proportionate appearance in your torso.
- High-waisted bathing suit bottoms: Need to give your backside some love? High-waist swimsuit bottoms can elongate your shape and give you the perfect amount of coverage.
For triangle body types, our designers recommend:
Choose the Best Bikinis for a Strawberry Shaped Body Type
An inverted triangle is precisely what it sounds like: an upside down triangle. In contrast to a triangle body type, this body shape is characterized by shoulders that are wider than hips, and it’s often referred to as a “cone” or “strawberry.” If this is your body type, your waist may be less defined, and your body tapers down or narrows from your shoulders to your hips.
The best swimsuits for inverted triangle body types include:
- Swimsuit bottoms that accentuate your hips: Since your shape is the opposite of a triangle, the features you want to play up are opposite, too. Choose bikini bottoms with side shirring or detailing to accentuate your hips rather than your shoulders.
- Sweetheart necklines: Give your bust plenty of support and an understated appearance with a sweetheart neckline.
- Full coverage or tankini bathing suit tops: Try swim tops that cover more of your upper body to keep the focus on your hips and create a balanced look.
For inverted triangle body types, our designers recommend:
- Island Goddess Tankini and Side Shirred Hipster Bikini Bottom
- Island Goddess Convertible Shoulder One Piece
- Island Goddess Ruffle One Piece
Look for Swimsuits to Flatter a Round Body Type
There’s pear, there’s banana, there’s strawberry, and then there’s apple! This body shape is round, with well-balanced hips and shoulders. Ladies with this body shape typically have an average or large bust, shapely legs, and a less visible or undefined waistline.
The best bathing suits for oval body types include:
- Fitted waists in tankini sets or swimsuits: Like with a rectangle body type, oval body types look fantastic in suits that accentuate your waistline. Choose full coverage styles with a slightly cinched waist or one-piece swimsuits that have built-in tummy toners to define your waist.
- Waistline details: Shirring details around the torso provide visual interest to define and play up your waistline curves.
- Sweetheart necklines in bathing suit tops: A classic sweetheart neckline can create a well-balanced silhouette to round out the shape of your upper body visually.
For oval body types, our designers recommend:
- Island Goddess Sweetheart One Piece
- Island Goddess Underwire Tankini with Ruffle Skirt
- Island Goddess Convertible Shoulder One Piece
Shop La Blanca Swimsuits for Every Body Type
Ready to find the most flattering swimsuit for your unique body? At La Blanca, we design swimsuits for all body types. Your next favorite swimsuit is waiting for you, so take these tips and shop for your perfect fit! Can’t decide on your favorite swimsuits? Order multiple sizes and styles to try out at home, no strings attached. We always offer free ground shipping and returns on orders over $75. What are you waiting for?